Megacalorie conversionsenergy conversions » megacalorie conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the energy measurement unit you want to convert to starting from megacalories (Mcal). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than megacalorie, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is megacalorie?
The megacalorie (thermochemical) is a unit of energy equal to 4,184,000 joules (1 Mcal = 4,184,000 J), the SI derived unit of energy. It is also equal to 4,184 kilojoules (kJ), or 1,000 kilocalories (thermochemical) (kcal), or 0.001 gigacalories (thermochemical) (Gcal), or 3,965.667 British thermal units (IT) (BTU), or 2,203.148 Celsius heat units (IT) (CHU), or 1,162.22222 watt hours (Wh) or 1.16222222 kilowatt hours (kWh).
The megacalorie definition varies as follows:
- The megacalorie (thermochemical) (Mcal) is equal to 4.184 megajoules (MJ)
- The megacalorie (IT) (Mcal) is equal to 4.1868 megajoules (MJ)
- The megacalorie (mean) (Mcal) is equal to about 4.19002 megajoules (MJ)
- The megacalorie (4 °C) (Mcal) is equal to about 4.2045 megajoules (MJ)
- The megacalorie (15 °C) (Mcal) is equal to 4.1855 megajoules (MJ)
- The megacalorie (20 °C) (Mcal) is equal to about 4.1819 megajoules (MJ)
(i) The SI is an abbreviation for the International System of Units
(ii) The IT is an abbreviation for the International [Steam] Table
(iii) The food calorie - used in nutritional contexts only - is equal to 4.184 kilojoules or 1,000 thermochemical calories. The food calorie is also referred to as kilocalorie on the nutrition labels.
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from megacalories to other (metric, imperial, or customary) energy measurement units.