Cubit conversionslength conversions » cubit conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the length/distance measurement unit you want to convert to starting from cubits. To make a conversion starting from a unit of length other than cubit, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is cubit?
The cubit is an archaic unit of length, equal to approximately 0.4572 meters (1 cubit = 0.4572 m), the base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI). It is also equal to approximately 457.2 millimeters (mm) or 45.72 centimeters (cm) (SI units of length), or about 1.5 feet (ft) or 18 inches (in), which are US customary / Imperial units of length.
The cubit is the first recorded unit of length; it was based on measuring by comparing to one's forearm length.
Over time, various cubits and variations on the cubit have been recorded. Examples of cubits include:
- The Roman cubitus, equal to about 444.5 millimeters, or 17.5 inches or 1.458333 feet
- The Mesopotamian cubit, equal to about 533.4 millimeters, or 21 inches or 1.75 feet
- The Babylonian cubit (or cubit of Lagash), equal to about 496.1 millimeters, or 23.4685 inches or 1.9557 feet
- The Arabic nil cubit (or black cubit), equal to about 540.2 millimeters, or 21.2677 inches or 1.7723 feet
- The (Persia) cubit, equal to about 500.1 millimeters, or 19.68897 inches or 1.6407 feet
- The (Pergamon) cubit, equal to about 520.9 millimeters, or 20.507874 inches or 1.7089895 feet
- The (England) cubit, equal to 457.2 millimeters, or 18 inches or 1.5 feet
- The Arabic Hashimi cubit, equal to about 650.2 millimeters, or 25.5984 inches or 2.1332 feet
- The (Salamis) cubit, equal to about 484.0 millimeters, or 19.0551 inches or 1.5879 feet
- The guard cubit, equal to about 555.6 millimeters, or 21.8740 inches or 1.8228 feet
The cubit unit referred to on this site is the (England) cubit which is equal to 45.72 centimeters.
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from cubits to other (metric, imperial, or customary) length and distance measurement units.