Horsepower (metric) conversions
The horsepower (metric) conversion selector on this page selects the power measurement unit to convert to starting from horsepower (metric) (hp). To make a conversion starting from a unit of power other than horsepower (metric), simply click on the "Reset" button.
About horsepower (metric)
The metric horsepower is a unit of power equal to 735.49875 watts (1 metric hp = 735.49875 W), the derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI).
The metric horsepower (hp) is also equal to 0.73549875 kilowatts (kW), or 7.3549875 × 10-4 megawatts (MW), or 7.3549875 × 10-7 gigawatts (GW), or 2,509.625907 British thermal units (IT) per hour (BTU/h) or 632.838314 kilocalories (thermochemical) per hour (kcal/h).
The horsepower definition varies as follows:
- The mechanical horsepower or Imperial horsepower is equal to 0.745699872 kilowatts
- The electrical horsepower is equal to 0.746 kilowatts
- The hydraulic horsepower is equal to 0.745699872 kilowatts
- The metric horsepower is equal to 0.73549875 kilowatts
- The boiler horsepower or steam horsepower is equal to 9.810657 kilowatts
Plural: horsepower (metric)