The calorie conversion selector on this page selects the energy measurement unit to convert to starting from calories (cal). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than calorie, simply click on the "Reset" button.
The calorie (thermochemical) is a unit of energy equal to 4.184 joules (1 cal = 4.184 J), the SI derived unit of energy.
The calorie (thermochemical) is also equal to 0.004184 kilojoules (kJ), or 0.001 kilocalories (thermochemical) (kcal), or 10-9 gigacalories (thermochemical) (Gcal), or 0.003965667 British thermal units (IT) (BTU), or 0.002203148 Celsius heat units (IT) (CHU), or 0.00116222222 watt hours (Wh) or 1.16222222 × 10-6 kilowatt hours (kWh).
The calorie definition varies as follows:
- The calorie (th) (cal) is equal to 4.184 joules
- The calorie (IT) (cal) is equal to 4.1868 joules
- The calorie (mean) (cal) is equal to about 4.19002 joules
- The calorie (4 °C) (cal) is equal to about 4.2045 joules
- The calorie (15 °C) (cal) is equal to 4.1855 joules
- The calorie (20 °C) (cal) is equal to about 4.1819 joules