Watt hour conversionsenergy conversions » watt hour conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the energy measurement unit you want to convert to starting from watt hours (Wh). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than watt hour, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is watt hour?
The watt hour (or watt-hour) is a unit of energy equal to 3,600 joules (1 Wh = 3,600 J), the SI derived unit of energy. It is also equal to 3.6 kilojoules (kJ), or 0.86042065 kilocalories (thermochemical) (kcal), or 3,600 watt seconds (Ws), or 0.001 kilowatt hours (kWh), or 10-6 megawatt hours (MWh) or 10-9 gigawatt hours (GWh).
The watt hour is the energy required to produce one watt of power for one hour. The watt (W) is a derived unit of power in the SI while the hour (h) is a non-SI unit of time.
Common subdivisions and multiples of the watt hour using the SI prefixes:
- 1 milliwatt hour (mWh) = 10-3 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 microwatt hour (μWh) = 10-6 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 nanowatt hour (nWh) = 10-9 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 picowatt hour (pWh) = 10-12 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 kilowatt hour (kWh) = 103 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 megawatt hour (MWh) = 106 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 gigawatt hour (GWh) = 109 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 terawatt hour (TWh) = 1012 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 petawatt hour (PWh) = 1015 watt hours (Wh)
The SI is an abbreviation for the International System of Units.
Also known as:
watt-hour (plural: watt-hours)
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from watt hours to other (metric, imperial, or customary) energy measurement units.