Watt hour conversions
The watt hour conversion selector on this page selects the energy measurement unit to convert to starting from watt hours (Wh). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than watt hour, simply click on the "Reset" button.
About watt hour
The watt hour, or watt-hour, is a unit of energy equal to 3,600 joules (1 Wh = 3,600 J), the SI derived unit of energy.
The watt hour (Wh) is also equal to 3.6 kilojoules (kJ), or 0.86042065 kilocalories (thermochemical) (kcal), or 3,600 watt seconds (Ws), or 0.001 kilowatt hours (kWh), or 10-6 megawatt hours (MWh) or 10-9 gigawatt hours (GWh).
The watt hour is the energy required to produce one watt of power for one hour. The watt (W) is a derived unit of power in the SI while the hour (h) is a non-SI unit of time.
Common subdivisions and multiples of the watt hour using the SI prefixes:
- 1 milliwatt hour (mWh) = 10-3 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 microwatt hour (μWh) = 10-6 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 nanowatt hour (nWh) = 10-9 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 picowatt hour (pWh) = 10-12 watt hours (Wh)
… … …
- 1 kilowatt hour (kWh) = 103 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 megawatt hour (MWh) = 106 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 gigawatt hour (GWh) = 109 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 terawatt hour (TWh) = 1012 watt hours (Wh)
- 1 petawatt hour (PWh) = 1015 watt hours (Wh)
Plural: watt hours
Also known as: watt-hour (plural: watt-hours)