Troy ounce conversionsmass conversions » troy ounce conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the mass/weight measurement unit you want to convert to starting from troy ounces (oz t). To make a conversion starting from a unit of mass other than troy ounce, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is troy ounce?
The international troy ounce is a unit of mass in the Imperial and US customary systems of units equal to 0.0311034768 kilograms (1 oz t = 0.0311034768 kg), the base unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI). It is also equal to 31.1034768 grams (g), or 31,103.4768 milligrams (mg) or 31.1034768x106 micrograms (μg) (SI units of mass), or 0.0685714286 pounds (lb), or 1.09714286 ounces (oz) or 480 grains (gr), which are US customary / Imperial units of mass.
The ounce definition varies depending on the system of units used, as follows:
- The avoirdupois ounce (or simply "ounce"), equal to 28.349523125 grams (g) or 0.0625 pounds (lb)
- The troy ounce, equal to 31.1034768 grams (g) or 0.0685714286 pounds (lb)
- The Apothecaries ounce, equal to 31.1034768 grams (g) or 0.0685714286 pounds (lb)
- The Dutch metric ounce, equal to 100 grams (g) or 0.220462262 pounds (lb)
- The Spanish ounce, equal to 28.75 grams (g) or 0.0633829004 pounds (lb)
- The Chinese metric ounce, equal to 50 grams (g) or 0.110231131 pounds (lb)
- The Maria Theresa ounce, equal to 28.0668 grams (g) or 0.0618767022 pounds (lb)
The troy ounce is used as a unit of mass for precious metals such as gold, silver and platinum.
The abbreviation "oz" for ounce comes from the old Italian word "onza".
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from troy ounces to other (metric, imperial, or customary) mass and weight measurement units.