Troy pound conversionsmass conversions » troy pound conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the mass/weight measurement unit you want to convert to starting from troy pounds (lb t). To make a conversion starting from a unit of mass other than troy pound, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is troy pound?
The international troy pound is a unit of mass in the Imperial and US customary systems of units equal to 0.3732417216 kilograms (1 lb t = 0.3732417216 kg), the base unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI). It is also equal to 373.2417216 grams (g), or 373,241.7216 milligrams (mg) or 373.2417216x106 micrograms (μg) (SI units of mass), or 12 troy ounces (oz t), or 5,760 grains (gr) or 0.82285714 pounds (lb), which are US customary / Imperial units of mass.
The pound definition varies depending on the system of units used, as follows:
- The avoirdupois pound (or simply "pound"), equal to 453.59237 grams (g) or 0.45359237 kilograms (kg)
- The troy pound, equal to 373.2417216 grams (g) or 0.3732417216 kilograms (kg)
- The metric pound, equal to 500 grams (g) or 0.5 kilograms (kg)
Over time, various pounds have been recorded. Examples of pound units include:
- The tower pound, equal to about 350 grams (g) or 0.350 kilograms (kg)
- The merchant's pound, equal to about 437.5 grams (g) or 0.4375 kilograms (kg)
- The London pound, equal to about 466.66 grams (g) or 0.46666 kilograms (kg)
- The Roman libra, equal to about 327 grams (g) or 0.327 kilograms (kg)
- The Russian pound (or funt), equal to about 409.52 grams (g) or 0.40952 kilograms (kg)
- The Jersey pound, equal to about 490 grams (g) or 0.490 kilograms (kg)
The troy pound was used as a unit of mass by apothecaries and jewellers. Nowadays, the troy pound is no longer in common use.
(i) The name "pound" comes from the Latin phrase "libra pondo" which means "a pound weight"
(ii) The abbreviation "lb" for pound comes from the Roman "libra"; the "lbs" abbreviation is also commonly used to indicate the plural unit "pounds"
Also known as:
troy pound-mass (symbol: lbm t)
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from troy pounds to other (metric, imperial, or customary) mass and weight measurement units.