Gigacalorie conversionsenergy conversions » gigacalorie conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the energy measurement unit you want to convert to starting from gigacalories (Gcal). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than gigacalorie, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is gigacalorie?
The gigacalorie (thermochemical) is a unit of energy equal to 4.184x109 joules (1 Gcal = 4.184x109 J), the SI derived unit of energy. It is also equal to 4.184x106 kilojoules (kJ), or 106 kilocalories (thermochemical ) (kcal), or 1,000 megacalories (thermochemical) (Mcal), or 3.965667x106 British thermal units (IT) (BTU), or 2.203148x106 Celsius heat units (IT) (CHU), or 1.16222222x106 watt hours (Wh) or 1,162.22222 kilowatt hours (kWh).
The gigacalorie definition varies as follows:
- The gigacalorie (thermochemical) (Gcal) is equal to 4.184 gigajoules (GJ)
- The gigacalorie (IT) (Gcal) is equal to 4.1868 gigajoules (GJ)
- The gigacalorie (mean) (Gcal) is equal to about 4.19002 gigajoules (GJ)
- The gigacalorie (4 °C) (Gcal) is equal to about 4.2045 gigajoules (GJ)
- The gigacalorie (15 °C) (Gcal) is equal to 4.1855 gigajoules (GJ)
- The gigacalorie (20 °C) (Gcal) is equal to about 4.1819 gigajoules (GJ)
(i) The SI is an abbreviation for the International System of Units
(ii) The IT is an abbreviation for the International [Steam] Table
(iii) The food calorie - used in nutritional contexts only - is equal to 4.184 kilojoules or 1,000 thermochemical calories. The food calorie is also referred to as kilocalorie on the nutrition labels.
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from gigacalories to other (metric, imperial, or customary) energy measurement units.