The gigacalorie conversion selector on this page selects the energy measurement unit to convert to starting from gigacalories (Gcal). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than gigacalorie, simply click on the "Reset" button.
The gigacalorie (thermochemical) is a unit of energy equal to 4.184 × 109 joules (1 Gcal = 4.184 × 109 J), the SI derived unit of energy.
The gigacalorie (Gcal) is also equal to 4.184 × 106 kilojoules (kJ), or 106 kilocalories (thermochemical ) (kcal), or 1,000 megacalories (thermochemical) (Mcal), or 3.965667 × 106 British thermal units (IT) (BTU), or 2.203148 × 106 Celsius heat units (IT) (CHU), or 1.16222222 × 106 watt hours (Wh) or 1,162.22222 kilowatt hours (kWh).
The gigacalorie definition varies as follows:
- The gigacalorie (th) (Gcal) is equal to 4.184 gigajoules
- The gigacalorie (IT) (Gcal) is equal to 4.1868 gigajoules
- The gigacalorie (mean) (Gcal) is equal to about 4.19002 gigajoules
- The gigacalorie (4 °C) (Gcal) is equal to about 4.2045 gigajoules
- The gigacalorie (15 °C) (Gcal) is equal to 4.1855 gigajoules
- The gigacalorie (20 °C) (Gcal) is equal to about 4.1819 gigajoules