Kilocalorie conversionsenergy conversions » kilocalorie conversions
The online converter calculator on this page allows you to select the energy measurement unit you want to convert to starting from kilocalories (kcal). To make a conversion starting from a unit of energy other than kilocalorie, simply click on the "Reset" button.
What is kilocalorie?
The kilocalorie (thermochemical) is a unit of energy or work equal to 4,184 joules (1 kcal = 4,184 J), the SI derived unit of energy. It is also equal to 4.184 kilojoules (kJ), or 10-6 gigacalories (thermochemical) (Gcal), or 3.965667 British thermal units (IT) (BTU), or 2.203148 Celsius heat units (IT) (CHU), or 1.16222222 watt hours (Wh) or 0.00116222222 kilowatt hours (kWh).
The kilocalorie is the energy required to increase the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius (or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) at a constant pressure of one atmosphere.
The kilocalorie definition varies as follows:
- The kilocalorie (thermochemical) (kcal) is equal to 4.184 kilojoules (kJ)
- The kilocalorie (IT) (kcal) is equal to 4.1868 kilojoules (kJ)
- The kilocalorie (mean) (kcal) is equal to about 4.19002 kilojoules (kJ)
- The kilocalorie (4 °C) (kcal) is equal to about 4.2045 kilojoules (kJ)
- The kilocalorie (15 °C) (kcal) is equal to 4.1855 kilojoules (kJ)
- The kilocalorie (20 °C) (kcal) is equal to about 4.1819 kilojoules (kJ)
(i) The SI is an abbreviation for the International System of Units
(ii) The IT is an abbreviation for the International [Steam] Table
(iii) The food calorie - used in nutritional contexts only - is equal to 4.184 kilojoules or 1,000 thermochemical calories. The food calorie is also referred to as kilocalorie on the nutrition labels.
Below you can find a comprehensive list with conversions from kilocalories to other (metric, imperial, or customary) energy measurement units.